Cullen Timber Design was formed in 2006 as a family run, independent design capability for the timber frame industry and building companies. Based in Hertfordshire, we have grown to a team of five, using Dietrich’s software to design and detail buildings that match and exceed our clients’ expectations.
Offering services that range from managing the design process completely for self builders to offering consultancy and design services to our corporate clients, our versatility is one of our strengths.
Whether constructing using oak, glulam, engineered timber, SIPs, softwood or building environmentally friendly or hybrid buildings that utilise combinations of materials and techniques, we are able to offer a multi-disciplinary frame design service.
Being a crossover company, in an industry where singularity is the norm, means that we are not defined by a single framing discipline. Rather we are in a position to offer options whereby the most efficient framing techniques can be utilised.
Whether frames are hand cut using traditional techniques or produced using CNC machinery, Cullen Timber Design can offer the design service appropriate to ensure the finished results are outstanding examples of precision timber engineering.
Products / Services Listing
- Green Oak Frames
- Eco Building/Passiv Haus
- Hybrid Frames
- Softwood Framing
- Glulam Structures
- Log Cabins
- Cross Laminated Timber
Products / Services Summary
On larger building projects, as well as some domestic dwellings, glulam post and beam framing can provide large open span spaces and thus offer a strong visual impact. Cullen Timber Design has experience of detailing buildings that will serve the community, providing a positive environment in which to play, live and learn. These include schools, churches, music venues and village halls. Some of our projects have involved extremely complex roof geometry, which our Dietrich’s software is able to manage effectively to produce remarkable results. Understanding that such buildings are brought about through close liaison between end users, architects, engineers and builders, Cullen Timber Design has experience of acting as a central hub, through which the diverse requirements of all interested parties may be collated and acted upon. Cullen Timber Design can:
- work holistically, ensuring a seamless interface between all components of the project, whether steel or Glulam
- detail all glulam components and their connections
- incorporate the requirements of structural engineering with regard to reinforced steel work connections
- advise on the best form of manufacture, whether it be hand or using CNC machinery
- offer our knowledge regarding suitable manufacturers with CNC machinery within the UK and in Europe
- issue all glulam and steel fabrication drawings for the manufacturer
Cross Laminated Timber
Cross Laminated Timber panels (CLT) have been utilised in Europe for some time, but have had a relatively recent introduction into the UK construction industry. We have been fortunate enough to be at the forefront of detailing structures using this exciting new build method. Offering huge advantages for build projects where time constraints impact significantly, CLT buildings are increasingly popular. The environmental credentials of using this material are excellent, which many community projects seek to utilise. Cullen Timber Design can:
- employ CLT panels in complex and challenging roof geometry
- detail and incorporate all the associated metalwork and fixings necessary into the 3D model
- provide advice on the design details of the various types of CLT panels available
- introduce clients to German, Swiss and Austrian fabricators with the necessary CNC machinery to create panels of up to twelve metres in length
Company Contact Details
Cullen Timber Design Ltd
52 High Street