UncategorizedNews

Trades warned of equipment crimewave

Tradespeople are being warned to step up security as a crime wave sweeps through construction sites in the UK. Commercial insurer NFU Mutual’s new research reveals almost nine in 10 (89%) tradespeople have experienced theft and crime specialists are warning that the world events, including the conflict in Ukraine, is driving up demand for stolen goods.

NFU Mutual is warning people not to be complacent as its study finds over three quarters (78%) of tradespeople and contractors admit they have left machinery and tools in a vehicle overnight. Vans are a key target for criminals, with nearly six in ten experiencing thefts from their vehicle (58%). And over half (55%) have experienced theft of their items from a building site, as 83% say they have left portable tools and equipment on-site overnight. Tradespeople say the main impacts of these thefts include loss of income (55%) and extra costs to replace or hire new kit (43%), and worryingly over a third reveal theft has an impact on their mental health (34%).

Zoe Knight, commercial specialist at NFU Mutual, said: “In the current climate as supply is low and demand for stolen equipment is high, we are urging people to step up security. Tradespeople rely on their tools for their income and to keep the chain of a project on schedule. As our report findings show, the theft of equipment can have a devastating impact, professionally, financially and mentally.

“It is crucial that tradespersons are fully supported should the worst happen. The cost of replacing kit and machinery has increased significantly due to supply chain issues in recent times. We are advising tradespeople to know what they own by recording serial numbers and keeping up to date with current market values.”

Only 57% of respondents said they would be able to produce a complete list of their tools and value, leaving 43% without a recorded inventory. Only 41% keep photographic evidence of their tools and just 17% video their equipment – yet these are quick and easy ways to keep a record.

The study by NFU Mutual comes as the Equipment Theft (Prevention) Bill has passed through the House of Commons and is expected to be signed into law later this summer. It aims to ensure high value tools and machinery are marked, registered, and traceable if stolen, making it harder for thieves to sell stolen tools, and help reunite them with their owners. NFU Mutual has been a key contributor in helping shape the Bill and in offering insight at the consultation stage – highlighting the impact of theft, as well as the importance of security, marking tools and keeping an inventory of items.

Detective Constable Chris Piggott, field intelligence officer for the National Construction and Agri Thefts Team (NCATT), added: “We welcome NFU Mutual’s study and their support for our work and are urging people to secure their property by using marking, tracking and immobilisation as well recording all serial numbers to aid the police to detect and prosecute criminals.

“We often end up on warrants and searches where numerous high value power tools are located, if serial numbers are not recorded these will be untraceable and cannot returned to their rightful owners. There is nothing more frustrating than having to hand suspected stolen property back to a known offender, because the person who has lost them didn’t take the time to accurately record the information when they purchase them. This ultimately means that we also can’t prosecute and bring offenders to justice, meaning they can carry on stealing tools without fear of retribution.”

More at www.nfumutual.co.uk/trades-insurance

Related Articles

Back to top button